A Toxic Gas Leakage in Karachi

Picture courtesy: Khaleej Times

A toxic gas leak in Karachi’s Keamari has left everyone worried about their safety. With the government not being able to release any satisfactory statements, the general public is in a confused state figuring out rumors from facts. The government has yet to identify the cause of the gas leak. The fingers were pointed at a soybean ship docked at the Karachi port, but the KPT dismissed these reports.

Here’s what we know about the gas leak so far.

The gas leak was first reported Sunday night.

More than eight people have lost their lives. Six deaths were reported Monday morning, but two more labourers died in the night.

At least 150 people have been affected. Some have been discharged, while others are still hospitalised.

“Hydrogen Sulphide could be the probable cause of gas poisoning in the Keamari area of the city adjacent to Karachi port where some have unfortunately died and dozens were hospitalized on Sunday night. So far, our investigation is inconclusive but our teams are working on it and we have also sought professional assistance from a private firm to help in the investigation,” Sindh Adviser on Environment Barrister Murtaza Wahab told The News on Monday. The Sindh government officials claimed that the provincial environmental watchdog, the Sindh Environmental Protection Agency (SEPA), was not allowed to monitor facilities at the Karachi Port.

At ABC for Moms, let us help you get the relevant medical info and signs and symptoms you need to keep an eye on, in order to detect any medical emergencies.

Gas leaks change the amount of oxygen available. As you breathe in less oxygen, you may start to develop symptoms. Don’t delay going to a tertiary care setup If you or others in your family experience sudden and unexplained symptoms.

Here are the symptoms you should look for:

▪︎ Headache

▪︎ Dizziness

▪︎ Nausea

▪︎ Eye and throat irritation

▪︎ Fatigue

▪︎ Breathing problems

▪︎ Pale skin or blisters, which only occur if skin comes in contact with compressed or liquid gas

You may see the same symptoms in your pets if there is a gas leak. Extreme or high levels of exposure may also cause unconsciousness or death.

☆ People prone to breathing issues, elderly and asthmatic patients should be taken special care of. If possible shift them away from effected areas.

☆ Keep medicines for asthmatic patients within their reach. Inhalers, nebulizers should be checked and kept accessible at all times.

NOTE: DO NOT rely on your sense of smell to indicate the continuing presence of hydrogen sulfide or to warn of harmful levels. You can smell the “rotten egg” odor of hydrogen sulfide at low concentrations in air. But after a while, you lose the ability to smell the gas even though it is still present (olfactory fatigue). This loss of smell can happen very rapidly and at high concentrations and the ability to smell the gas can be lost instantly (olfactory paralysis).

Leave a Reply

Product added to cart

No products in the cart.